History of Soviet tanks

Harkonnen

This reputedly shows the prototype of the replace of the early series 2s25. The new version is claimed to be built on a BMD 4M chassis. The previous versions were apparently BMD 3.

New version to be tested in 2018, slipped to 2019. Was due to enter service in 2020, no evidence I've seen yet that any have been delivered.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

.... And if you can tell me what unit the 25 serve in, I'm happy to add it to the Russian OOB I've put together. Until then, I remain unconvinced....

Lol. Russian sources say it is in service, foreign sourcers say it is in service, buy you don't care about that and ask for an exact unit.

I don't know and don't care in which unit it serves, it is stated by the more-less reliable sources to be in service... If that can not convince you - what can I say, learn Russian and do some real research.

Don't you find it strange that in 14 years of service, they have by the Russians own admission, only 25 in service, less than a battalion, and they have demonstrated it airdropped twice, in singleton? 

Again... your assumptions. 2S25 is an artillery vehicle, used in 6-vehicle batteries and 18 vehicle Bns (Дивизион, not to be confused with Division).

36 vehicle = 2 x Bn. I would expect Bde to have one 18-vehicle Bn.

Yes, I thInk that was one of the early versions of which the suspension apparently didn't work out. Which perhaps accounts for the disparity of 11 vehicles.

Where do you pull such utterly BS things from? Suspension never changed and is same on prototype, pre-production production vehicle. Whatever sources you are using... they are obviously crap.

Edited by bojan

5 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

This reputedly shows the prototype of the replace of the early series 2s25. The new version is claimed to be built on a BMD 4M chssis. The previous versions were apparently BMD 3.New version to be tested in 2018, slipped to 2019. Was due to enter service in 2020, no evidence I've seen yet that any have been delivered.

And no new version is delivered still. Reason for switch of chassis is not a "bad suspension", but as with BMD-4/BMD-4M due the former manufacturer going bankrupt and production moving to Kurganmash who wanted to unify suspension with BMP-3 and Kurganets.

And no new version is delivered still. Reason for switch of chassis is not a "bad suspension", but as with BMD-4/BMD-4M due the former manufacturer going bankrupt and production moving to Kurganmash who wanted to unify suspension with BMP-3 and Kurganets.

Manufacturer was bailed out and absorved into KRET consortium. Actually 2019 was a good year -BMD-4 is still in production by the way-.

I wonder if another reason to unify chassis with BMP was to offer it as a light tank. I have never read any issues with suspension.

Another photo of Sprut taking part in the victory parade, 2015. It was taken in Pskov where 76th Guards Air Assault Division is based.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gXWtFMU5ovA/VVUVp3avcgI/AAAAAAAAIGM/U1hGq4mz-i4/s1600/4Opuq%2B(1).jpg

New version to be tested in 2018, slipped to 2019. Was due to enter service in 2020, no evidence I've seen yet that any have been delivered.

As I mentioned before Russian MoD has not signed any contract yet. New version has to complete state trials.

Edited by alejandro_

39 minutes ago, alejandro_ said:

...BMD-4 is still in production by the way-.

BMD-4M with parts unified with BMP-3.

8 hours ago, Stefan Kotsch said:

The gun for SPRUT-SD is the 2A75. With same chamber as 2A46. Manuell loading? Probably yes. 

Yes but I am asking a different question about the towed AT gun 2A45 and 'self moving' (самодвижущиеся) AT gun 2A45M.

But as Bojan points out it seems that it was considered too bulky and never built in numbers. But other (unreliable) sources say it is in service and was even exported to Mexico and Singapore.

7 hours ago, alejandro_ said:

Manufacturer was bailed out and absorved into KRET consortium. Actually 2019 was a good year -BMD-4 is still in production by the way-.

I wonder if another reason to unify chassis with BMP was to offer it as a light tank. I have never read any issues with suspension.

Another photo of Sprut taking part in the victory parade, 2015. It was taken in Pskov where 76th Guards Air Assault Division is based.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gXWtFMU5ovA/VVUVp3avcgI/AAAAAAAAIGM/U1hGq4mz-i4/s1600/4Opuq%2B(1).jpg

As I mentioned before Russian MoD has not signed any contract yet. New version has to complete state trials.

Ill have a look through my sources, its been 4 years ago since I was reading up on it. But I definately read something  about the suspension being judged to be inadequate, which might explain why they have been reluctant to air drop it and why they only seem to have bought 25 units. Yes, there might be more in what Bojan says its down to the manufactuer having difficulties. Although that in itself doesnt explain the protracted development, or the pitifully small numbers that were procured before the manufacturer went tits up.

Ive found sources online that show it operating alongside the 98th Airborne Division on exercise. But I can find no sources claiming an established unit with them. There was also a photo of one in a recent exercise with the 98th being loaded onto an IL76 on its sled, but no shots of it coming down again. So it seems to exercise with lots of units, but doesnt seem to be in service with any of them, Or if they are, they are in service with all of them in less than company strength. 76th is now an Air Assault unit, so they wont even need an airdrop capability, they can get by quite happily with the tank battalion they have attached.

There was something on Russia Defence.net that says the new version is going to provide the basis for an ampibious light tank development. Which presumably explains why there have been mutterings for years it was going to replace the tanks in the Naval Infantry Brigades. Once again, no orders yet, and im not sure they have even made a prototype for that yet.

5 hours ago, KV7 said:

Yes but I am asking a different question about the towed AT gun 2A45 and 'self moving' (самодвижущиеся) AT gun 2A45M.

But as Bojan points out it seems that it was considered too bulky and never built in numbers. But other (unreliable) sources say it is in service and was even exported to Mexico and Singapore.

Ah ok.  All guns have the same chamber.  Then they can fire the same ammunition.  Only the traveling charge on the projectile has to be the same length.  How long the penetrator is, is only limited by a loading device in a tank.

But I have never read anything about an active troop deployment of the 2A45.

yes MT12, 3 were built IIRC, each have some unique details(muzzle brake etc)

M9Nclt6OAHI.jpg

jR6WOWGbeuI.jpg

XgXn1hZEArY.jpg

A monument dedicated to the crews of the T-54/55 No.377 of 7th Company, 297th Tank Battalion of Vietnam People Army. During Dak To Operation (Easter Offensive), No.377 eliminated seven opposing tanks in a single engagement prior to being destroyed.

hole look like APCR/APDS 

source Lee Ann Quann twitter 

5 hours ago, Wiedzmin said:

yes MT12, 3 were built IIRC, each have some unique details(muzzle brake etc)

jR6WOWGbeuI.jpg

hole look like APCR/APDS 

APCR, characteristic "halo" around hole. Also AFAIK neither 90mm (M48) or 76mm (M41) had APDS.

Edited by bojan

18 hours ago, KV7 said:

Was a better 100mm APFSDS round ever developed by USSR/Russia ? For comparison, China did develop the improved type 86 in 1987.

avfXXrE.jpg

Why does the Chinese round get 2 columns? original and new?

3 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

Why does the Chinese round get 2 columns? original and new?

Different ammunition.

First row is the gun and second is ammunition. I think the second may be a DU version.

Edited by KV7

On 9/21/2020 at 1:34 PM, bojan said:

Don't forget that airborne also had SP-ATGM, BTR-RD, with Konkurs and Fagot missiles, and upgraded version was presented with Kornet, but was not procured due the desire to replace BTR-D chassis with the new one.

Apparently version with Kornet was acquired after all (1:05):

13 hours ago, bojan said:

Apparently version with Kornet was acquired after all (1:05):

Bit of a tight squeeze there with the 4x4 fast attack vehicle (or whatever the Russian military refers to them as) loading into the Mi-8.