History of Soviet tanks

Harkonnen

btw VDV get real T-72, so...

True.

I want to see the parachutes for these. ^_^

Seriously, I think they are attached so the VDV are more like a motorrifle division of the army. Most of the time they do not deploy via air drops anyway. I think they have also 2S3 attached.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

btw VDV get real T-72, so...

True.

I want to see the parachutes for these. ^_^

Seriously, I think they are attached so the VDV are more like a motorrifle division of the army. Most of the time they do not deploy via air drops anyway. I think they have also 2S3 attached.

Given the current Russian attempts to push remotely-controlled UGVs into service, in ten, twenty years or so we might very well see a VDV equipped with UGVs in the weight range of current parachute-deployed vehicles with maximum emphasis put into firepower and the rest of the weight into armor protection.

Since the VDV in their ideal(yeeeees, I know :P ) modus operandi are supposed to be parachuted quite a way behind enemy lines and so into a potentially more permissive ECM environment, it might prove a viably way around losses among crews of vehicles tasked with direct fire support AND losses of those vehicles themselves, at the same time.

Edited by Blunt Eversmoke

3t52Sg0ZCY4.jpg

TkDc020utfA.jpg

When and where have these photgraphs been taken?

I bet on 1990 or 91 in Germany, but may well be surprised.

Could have been the 1970s or 80s. The picture of the M60A1 and T-54 is almost certainly pre-1980. In any case, the US Army had enough T-54/T-55s and T-62s to have them at Ft. Knox, Ft. Hood, and Grafenwoehr prior to 1982. Those are just what I saw pre-1989.

I rode in a T-62 at Fort Hood in 1978...my first tank ride. The OPFOR detachment at Graf included a T-62, T-54/55, BMP-1, and PT-76 in 1980...

hmm, Grafenwöhr could have been the place where a Leopard 1 and T-62 (it is one right?) may have met during the cold war.

I rode in a T-62 at Fort Hood in 1978...my first tank ride. The OPFOR detachment at Graf included a T-62, T-54/55, BMP-1, and PT-76 in 1980...

hmm, Grafenwöhr could have been the place where a Leopard 1 and T-62 (it is one right?) may have met during the cold war.

Could be, Bundeswehr units would sometimes do gunnery at Graf. It's as likely that the T-62, yes it is, could have been on loan to the Bundeswehr, or outright owned by the BRD.

I wonder what the 'How to fight the T-64/72' video would have looked like for M60 crews.

Well, it would last for about 12 seconds I think.
Ah...come on...the T-64 isn't THAT bad...give yourself some credit man

Perhaps it is a bit like this:

Section 1: How to use smoke to conceal your tank

Section 2: How to engage the reverse gear

Section 3: What to do when your tank is on fire

Section 4: How to stay alive after bailing

I wonder what the 'How to fight the T-64/72' video would have looked like for M60 crews.

Ah...come on...the T-64 isn't THAT bad...give yourself some credit man

Perhaps it is a bit like this:

Section 1: How to use smoke to conceal your tank

Section 2: How to engage the reverse gear

Section 3: What to do when your tank is on fire

Section 4: How to stay alive after bailing

Well..there was supposed to be a smiley at the end of my post....but TankNet ate it !....meaning it was mostly in jest.

For what its worth i tend to agree that a M60A1 with APDS would have had a hard time against the T-64/ T-72s ( as would the contemporary Leo 1 and AMX-30) .

The M60A3 with APFSDS ammo( from about 78' onward ) considerably less so.

Anywho :

Nah, it was a reprint of "How to Fight the Tiger in Your M4A3E8"

Well, that at least was possible with HVAP or a flank shot.

Flank shots are perfectly possible with M60 against T-72(hell, even T-55 against M1A2). Other question is reliability of that kind of tactics.

Flank shots are perfectly possible with M60 against T-72(hell, even T-55 against M1A2). Other question is reliability of that kind of tactics.

It's interesting that the shape of the Soviet T-tank turrets make it very likely for flank shots to not hit the side of the turret but the front cheeks.

It's interesting that the shape of the Soviet T-tank turrets make it very likely for flank shots to not hit the side of the turret but the front cheeks.

Yeah, probably it would be best to aim a little low and try to get the hull.