P-38 Lightning

Slater

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know any source to see if my pilot had any confirmed victories? 

363388[/snapback]

Frank Olynyk wrote and privately published a series of books, "Credits for the Destruction of Enemy Aircraft in Air to Air Combat". Vol. 6 covers USAAF MTO; I don't have that one though, unfortunately.

Joe

Frank Olynyk wrote and privately published a series of books, "Credits for the Destruction of Enemy Aircraft in Air to Air Combat". Vol. 6 covers USAAF MTO; I don't have that one though, unfortunately.

Joe

363552[/snapback]

Hey Dwight,

This guy posts stuff on the 12oclock high forum. If you register there you can send him an email.

Here is a similar request:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=1607

Good luck!

Bob

• 15 years later...

I used to see Dwight on some other sites, but not for a few years now.  I heard from Joe once after his departure, he would lurk from time to time, and we exchanged messages.  Guess that's been eight or nine years ago.  With his knowledge of east Asian languages it would have been interesting to see him conversing with a couple of our Asian members.  Alas, Joe's intellect was well above most people here, I fear he probably became bored with it all.

As for Greg's video, always interesting.  I've been a subscriber of him for some years now.

Edited by DKTanker

I do not know. The battle of France in the air was not fought at high altitudes, where turbos excel, so that makes sense. At mid altitudes, against DB601-engined Bf-109s could probably have done well, same as against Bf-110s

Just look at it. It has 2 fuselages and only one engine. Ah wait a minute! I didn't notice the pusher prop before! 

You know, having a puller prop in the nose and a counter-rotating pusher prop in the tail is actually a good idea. The Do 335 had a very impressive top speed. 

kellyDrawing-sm~2.png

61Gm8jux+US._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Had an annoying tendency to want to fly sideways at high speed though...

Prop was behind the tail surfaces. Would not happen with the P-38 planform 6.